What types of injuries are most common in baseball and softball?
For pitchers, the most common overuse injuries are tendinitis (including shoulder, elbow, forearm, and wrist), and back or neck pain. For catchers, common injuries include back and knee problems, as well as overhead throwing shoulder problems. For other position players, shoulder and elbow injuries are the most common.
How can baseball and softball injuries be prevented?
- Warm up properly by stretching, running, and easy, gradual throwing
- Rotate playing other positions
- Don’t pitch with elbow or shoulder pain
- Don’t pitch on consecutive days
- Develop skills that are age-appropriate
- Emphasize control, accuracy, and good mechanics
- Speak with a sports medicine professional or athletic trainer if you have any concerns about baseball injuries or baseball injury prevention strategies